The Koha Firefox add-on is a valuable tool as advanced by Bywater Solution. It allows check-in and checkouts even without internet services. Follow the following procedure if you have not implemented one.
2.0: Installation of KOCT
- Login to your Koha account, click on circulation, then scroll to Get Firefox Add-on.
- You will be redirected to a link, click on add to the Firefox KOCT extension, and then click on (Allow Firefox to download and install the extension)
- Restart Firefox, the add-on is finally here!
- Go to the Firefox menu (three small lines) bar, click then scroll to (+ Customize) at the bottom, right click on KOCT, then select add to the main menu. Finally, exit the customization.
- Go to the Firefox main menu and open your KOCT, well done!
3.0: Configuration of KOCT
- After clicking on the main menu, a nice tab will open with four options highlighted inclusive of, checkout, and check-in, Log and Param.
Checkout – Option to add items by adding patron barcode (Card number) and item barcode. Check-in – Has only one row to add items barcode. Log – Shows all items entered during the offline module (Local is the default status). Param – Set your parameters here, the server and your Koha account user credentials.
- Click on the Param menu, on the server add your Koha staff client address: on Server option, for example, http://192.168.0.16:8080/.
- Library Code, include the code name (NOT the branch name) for example Zetech Library Pioneer (ZEP) or Zetech TRC (ZER).
- Username record your Koha username details, for example, mine (Simiyu).
- Password give your Koha account password (********)
- Close your KOCT tool.
Well done! You now have a working offline circulation tool.
4.0: Use of KOCT Tool
We have already set up a working server; now we can go ahead and use our tool when offline (For trial purposes use your account and a given book barcode).
- Insert the patron barcode (card number) for example mine (50002).
- Add the item barcode and the click save (for additional books to a single client repeat the process).
- Then click on the log, to see what you have done, check the status of item should read
- Then commit the items to Koha, (Do not Apply directly) because you want to check if your actions are successful or not.
- Check, the item status should read added
Perhaps the easiest part of the whole process, just scan the barcodes. Then save and commit to Koha.
5.0: Uploading and Reclaiming Database
- Go to KOHA, then click on circulation
- Scroll to Pending offline circulation, if you see your list, you are good to go
- Check all or simply click on the specific item.
- Then click process
- If you receive successfully uploaded! Congratulations once more, you have successfully checked items offline and uploaded them to Koha database.
N.B.: If you get a failure, don’t give up countercheck patron card number or book barcode from your log and recheck if necessary for typing mistake or omissions.
By Evans Simiyu
Specialist: Open Source: Installation, Customization and Training (Koha, DSpace and Libki), Referencing tool expert (Mendeley, Zotero and Endnote), Data Analyst (SPSS), Librarian and Knowledge Manager.
For further questions, contact: mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call: 0728843970.